One of our favorite tools to occupy the boys on long road trips (and even some short ones too!) has been books on tape.
What I like about audio books versus movies, is that kids can still look out the car window while listening to something – whether it be The Lord of the Rings or their favorite music. Not so with a movie. With a movie, they will miss one of the most important benefits of a road trip – looking at the scenery. Learning without even knowing it. Of course, most people don’t use tapes any longer, but audio book publishers have kept up with the times and audio books are now available as downloadable MP3s or on CDs. Many audio books are available for free download through local libraries such as the Orange County Public Library in Southern California. Of course, for “conventional” reading on an eReader, many titles are also available for free download. Depending on the title, we would sometimes listen to a book as a family through the car player, or sometimes, each wold listen to his own selection on his own player. One of the bigger audio book publishers – audible.com, even has a smartphone app. Regardless of the format you choose, do a little bit of preparation for your next road trip. Download some free titles or perhaps make a few purchases. The kids will enjoy them more than you might realize.
- DaveRamsey.com: More Than Enough Book Only $4.95 Shipped + FREE Kid’s Audio Book (hip2save.com)
- Free Dave Ramsey Kids Audio Book (forthemommas.com)
- Audio books (edugeek.net)
- The Best Narrated Audio Books (apartmenttherapy.com)
- Audio Book Review: Come Home By Lisa Scottoline (confessionsofapsychotichousewife.com)
- Audio Books (mikebzzz.wordpress.com)
- Audio Books (eoghann.com)
- Free audio books at podiobooks (ocaoimh.ie)
- Fuel Your Spring Break with FREE Audio Books for Children! (frugalinfortworth.wordpress.com)
- Free Kid’s Audio book! (tetheredmommy.com)
- FREE Kids Audio Book by Dave Ramsey ~ The Super Red Racer (frugalinfortworth.wordpress.com)